As we reach the end of the year, the editors at Connected Aviation Today are embarking on a new series that reflects the industry’s 2019 milestones as well as a look forward to the future of aviation in 2020. This week, we highlight passengers and how they are more empowered than ever to improve their experience.
According to the International Air Transport Association (IATA) 2019 Global Passenger Survey released last month, passengers are looking to technology to improve their overall travel experience. Access to information via a smart phone gives passengers more information and control over their travel experience, at their fingertips. This includes:
- 46% of passengers reported they preferred biometrics identification over paper passports to speed up the verification and travel process and to avoid waiting in long lines.
- 70% were willing to give their biometric identifiers.
- 53% said the ability to track baggage through the travel process would make them more likely to check a bag.
- 80% of passengers surveyed said they wouldn’t wait longer than three minutes to drop of their bag.
- Passengers also seek a reduction of wait times across baggage collection and customs.
- 53% of passengers want access to connectivity and Wi-Fi from the cabin.
“Passengers have told us that they are looking to technology to improve their travel experience,” Nick Careen, IATA Senior Vice President, Airport Passenger Cargo & Security said in this article. “That is what we are trying to deliver in cooperation with airports.”
IATA and the Airports Council International (ACI) are working together to improve the passenger experience with a new program, the New Experience Travel Technologies (NEXTT), designed to develop a common vision on how to enhance the on-ground travel experience and guide industry investments, while helping to provide a regulatory framework.
Want to learn more about what passengers prioritize in the travel experience in 2019? Click here to download an infographic of IATA’s findings: https://www.iata.org/publications/store/Documents/GPS-2019-Highlights-infographic.pdf